Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spinning Yarn - Oral Histories Research about Yarn enthusiasts of all kinds

Hello fellow Yarn enthusiast

I am a faculty member in the American Culture Studies program and the School of Media and Communication at Bowling Green State University. I am researching handmade movements and entrepreneurs worldwide and am very interested in the work you are doing. I too am an avid consumer of fiber my main skills include crochet, spinning and weaving. I am a member of both etsy.com and ravelry.com and have enjoyed being a part of those online communities for five years now.

I was hoping you would agree to be interviewed by email and/or maybe Skype and/or telephone. At minimum perhaps we could exchange one or two emails based on the questions I have for you. Depending on how you feel about continuing the conversation with me, I will request follow-up interviews by Skype or telephone. If, however, you feel more comfortable speaking to me on phone rather than replying at length by email, that is fine too. I will need to record our conversations. These will be stored on my password-protected computer and kept confidential. Further to our email and/or phone exchanges, I my visit your brick and mortar location to continue this research. These research visits will be limited to one or two at the most.

Of course your name will be kept confidential in the publications I write based on the interview unless you actually want to or don’t mind my using your actual names. Whatever I write up - I will share with you before publishing. I would also love to hear stories about your learning process and the community of crafters in your life. I realize that I am asking for your time and time is precious - but hopeful that you will agree to at least a part of this. Even if you are able to give me half an hour of your time on Skype or by phone, it will help my research a lot.

Academic writing doesn't make money - so I certainly wont be making money off of this, it is purely for academic research and conservation of culture in written form.

Regardless, I am always your fan and will keep buying your beautiful yarn and roving whenever I have stash cravings.

Thank you for thinking about this - feel free to ask me as many questions as you like.

If you agree to be interviewed, contact me via email to radhik [at] bgsu.edu .

5 comments:

Beth Barlow said...

Hi, am happy to converse via e mail. Am a bit rubbish at Skype but could get my head around it perhaps. Kind Regards, beth barlow, knit a year

radhika80 said...

Beth that would be wonderful - if we could also try some form of video conversation too that would be even better - it is "oral histories" after all.

So why dont we start with emails first - and I'm already on your knit-a-year talking to you (knitayear.ning.com) - so if you like sometimes we can even chat synchronously there... that will feed into your project too?

Anonymous said...

Always happy to help out, if you decide I'm interesting or informative enough!

cyberdiva said...

Of course ! I'll be in touch via email unless you are on ravelry and prefer that

radhika80 said...

Diane - just realized I have no way of contacting you - please either find me on ravelry (radhika80 - or email me - radhik [at] bgsu.edu

thanks a ton!
r