Monday, April 7, 2014

re-entering WoW as post-Mom of Gamer

Well once a Mom always a Mom - but my gamer son is adult now and could potentially be my colleague or boss in my workplace....

And that's just my point ... when I name myself "post mom-of-Gamer" .... as a Mom of teenage gamers and gamer who was in his 20s, I learned a lot about the gamer generation - and felt no need to get in-game to understand the gaming culture. I have loads of ethnographic material and informal interviews with boys of that generation gaming.

So instead of getting into game worlds - I spent a lot of time exploring and inhabiting secondlife and then playing farmville and then sims on my ipad.... I did dabble in some WoW occasionally after my son left for college - but didnt feel motivated to continue because my secondlife life was taking up a lot of my time and immersion - with my avatar starting a handloom sari business there and another avatar teaching in secondlife and holding office hours from there...

But now... these boys are going to be in management - as are the girls who were games - even though I was less exposed to gaming girls as a mom of a gamer since I have only a male child and hardly any of my female college students and graduate advisees of those days identified as gamers.

Today the scene is different - I have graduate student advisees who have been gaming for years and undergraduate students who play console games in their everyday - both female and male.

The logics of gaming pervades our everyday everywhere.


And... besides, talking to various Fiber crafters and collecting oral histories - I realized that there are (and have been for nearly 10 years or more) women fiber crafters who are avid gamers - and there are guilds I can be part of... (well, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee - http://www.yarnharlot.ca/  - and others have been both gamers (geekgrrls) and fiber enthusiasts for quite a while I know).

So finally I've joined the DS folk through ravelry so I can be mentored into the game.

http://instagram.com/p/mdxujKNGq4/


No comments: